Laboratory of Footwear and PPE
The testing laboratory is the only specialised institution in the Czech Republic, focusing on the comprehensive testing of footwear and accessories, personal protective equipment and related materials. The department follows the Bata shoemaking tradition and the activities of the former Research Institute for Leather Manufacturing.
Links / Downloads
PRODUCT SCOPE OF LABORATORY
- leather, furs, synthetic materials, textiles, plastics, rubber, cardboard, etc.
- semi-finished products, components
- soles, stiffeners, insoles, laces, toes, uppers, etc.
- footwear (work, sports, outdoor, social, domestic, children’s, etc.)
- gloves, handbags, suitcases, hats
- leather garments and fur products
- personal protective equipment
- PPE for head protection (hard hats, helmets, hoods, etc.)
- PPE for eye protection (goggles)
- PPE for hand protection (gloves, pads)
- PPE for leg and foot protection (shoes, shins)
- floor coverings, floor surfaces and materials for their treatment
The laboratory has approximately 100 accredited methods that are used in accordance with client’s needs. This work site is mainly involved in the verification of the mechanical and physical properties and colour constancy to the full extent of the standard requirements for footwear materials, footwear and haberdashery.
- strength tests (tensile strength and tensibility, tear strength, strength in the other tear, strength in extraction of stitches, coherence of the material layers, the strength of sewn joints etc.)
- Tests of the material surface treatment (treatment against the wiping, resistance against the repeated flexure, preparation adhesion, abrasion resistance - Martindale, constancy of material preparation on the artificial light, resistance of preparation against the higher temperature, against the push, testing of grain break, resistance of preparation against organic solvents etc.)
- tests of sorbtive characteristics (vapour permeability, absorption and desorption, water absorbability etc.)
- testing of finished products
- water permeability, the stiffness of shoes, the strength of the attachment of the heels and soles, strength of sewn joints, energy absorption of the footwear, resistance to compression, carrying load, weather resistance, features of sports balls, characteristics of the straps for prams, corrosion of metal components, testing of insulation qualities in hot and cold conditions
- assessment of anti-skid qualities of floor surfaces and of footwear
- testing of other mechanical and physical properties of materials and products
- measurement of dimensions - thickness, width, length, height, weight, hardness, resistance to the impact of liquids, the properties during bulging, torsional stiffness, measurement of electrical resistance etc.
- chemical analyses, testing of health safety (in cooperation with the analytical laboratory)
- flammability, ageing tests (in collaboration with the physical laboratory)
OTHER RELATED SERVICES
- Services of Accredited Testing Laboratory No. 1004 and No.1004.3
- Conformity assessment by the Authorised Body 224 and Notified Body 1023 in accordance with the requirements of Government orders and European Directives.
- Granting licenses for voluntary certification marks "Safe Toys" and "ITC Certified Quality"
- Standardisation services and technical information of the Technical Standardisation Centre specialised in products for children are provided within the ITC
- Certification of Management Systems (ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001)
- Technical inspection
- Technological consultancy
- Calibration service and metrological consultancy
- Legal and expert's services according to Act No. 36/1967 on experts and interpreters
Ing. Petra Skabrahova, Ph.D.
head of laboratory
Institute for Testing and Certification, Inc.
Laboratory for footwear and personal protective equipments
trida Tomase Bati 299, Louky, 763 02 Zlin
The person responsible for accuracy of data: Ing. Petra Skabrahova, Ph.D.